A History of West Chester University


A History of West Chester University


This exhibit created by R. Gerald Schoelkopf, former WCU archivist, for the celebration marking the 125th anniversary of the founding of West Chester University.

Collection Items

Overview of the display cases
This exhibit was located on the main floor of the FHG Library

Normal School Movement
A framed broadside announcing a public meeting to be held on August 23, 1869 for those people who were interested in establishing a normal school in West Chester to provide teachers for the First Normal School District (Chester, Montgomery, Delaware,…

Normal School Committee
A broadside announcing a meeting of the stockholders of the Normal School to elect four members to serve, along with four members of the Board of Trustees of the West Chester Academy, on a Normal School Committee. This committee would be known as the…

Old Main and Dr. Philips
Shelf #1 - Invitation to the 1878 ceremonies for the corner stone laying for the new North Wing of Old Main.

Shelf #2 - Various photographs of George Morris Philips and a copy of his acceptance letter. George Morris Philips served as Principal of…

Old Main (Enlarged)
The original Old Main opened in 1871 and was added to many times during its history. Some of the major additions were: a north wing added in 1878, a south wing added in 1883, and a rear chapel added in 1886. After the last addition was made to the…

Dr. George Morris Philips (enlarged)
George Morris Philips, who was Principal of the West Chester State Normal School from 1881 - 1920, was born in 1851 at Atglen, Chester County. In 1873 he joined the faculty of the West Chester State Normal School and taught mathematics until he…

Gymnastics Demonstration and the Old Gym
The Old Gymnasium stood in the center of the campus area known today as the Quad. It was designed by T. Roney Williamson in 1889 and is considered to be the first gymnasium in the United States designed with an indoor track. The building also…

Dining Room in Old Main and Souvenir Plates
This shelf contains a framed photograph of the dining room in Old Main and various pieces of souvenir china dating from the early 1900's and decorated with the facade of Old Main.

Dining Room (enlarged)
The dining room was located in the 1911 addition to Old Main and replaced an earlier dining room in the original part of the building. Dining was a formal affair. Seating was assigned, a faculty member or male student sat at the head of the table,…
View all 41 items